Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Using Powers of Attorney and Living Trusts to Avoid Guardianship

At any age we face a risk that an event may occur that will make us temporarily or permanently incapable of managing our own financial affairs. That risk increases as we age. And even without encountering a catastrophic health event, we may face a reduction in our capacity to manage, or of our interest in continuing to manage, our financial matters.

In order to protect our financial and property interests during our uncertain future lifetimes, it is important that we understand the legal tools that can be used to give someone legal authority to deal with financial matters for us.

Our society has developed a number of legal tools that allow a transfer of financial decision making authority to take place. Several are voluntary tools that we can create in advance of potential incapacity. The voluntary tools help ensure that our finances will be handled in the manner of our choosing, by a person or institution of our choosing. It is necessary to resort to involuntary tools if effective advance planning is not in place.

This article will briefly describe frequently used legal tools for substitute financial management.

The Financial Power of Attorney can be a simple, effective, and low cost means of allowing someone else to manage financial and property issues for you. Using a Financial Power of Attorney, a person delegates decision making authority to a trusted family member or other agent. The power can be immediately effective, or it can be dormant until needed. Virtually every adult should consider signing a Financial Power of Attorney to allow their financial affairs to be managed effectively and in accordance with their wishes in the event of their incapacity.

A Financial Power of Attorney is a powerful tool that should only be given to an agent who can be trusted completely. There are many issues you need to consider before you sign a Financial Power of Attorney. Questions to ask yourself include: (1) Should the document give your agent the power to act whenever the agent decides it is necessary, or only when only when someone other than your agent (e.g. your doctor) determines that you are incapacitated? (2) How broad are the powers you want to give to your agent? For example, do you want your agent to have the power to give away your assets? (3) Do you want to name more than one person to serve together as co-agents for you. (4) Who should you name as a back up to take over if your original agent cannot serve?

Joint ownership is a widely used form of property management. Couples often share ownership of bank and investment accounts and real estate in this manner. Often these assets are held “with right of survivorship,” which means that upon the death of one of the owners, the asset becomes owned solely by the survivor. Joint ownership as a property management tool has many limitations and may not allow your joint owner to effectively manage your finances. There can also be tax complications with joint ownership arrangements and they can upset your estate plan. Most experts suggest that you should not rely on joint ownership as your only management tool.

A living trust is a trust you create to take effect during your lifetime. If it can be changed or canceled by you at any time, it is called a revocable trust. If you cannot change or cancel the trust, it is called an irrevocable trust. Revocable living trusts are asset management and probate avoidance devices. They have no tax or asset protection advantages. Irrevocable trusts are usually created to obtain tax savings, to protect assets from creditors, or to qualify for Medicaid or other public benefits.

Representative payee authority functions something like a mini-guardianship, limited to the sole purpose of managing a person’s Social Security income check. It is also available for Civil Service, Railroad Retirement, and Veterans Administration checks. A representative payee can be established for an incapacitated beneficiary without going to court. Someone must apply to the Social Security Administration or other agency to be named as representative payee. Annual financial accounting is required.

Guardianship (called “conservatorship” in some states) is usually the legal tool of last resort for decision-making and management of the financial and personal affairs of an incapacitated person. It may be required if effective voluntary tools are not in place. Guardianship involves a court proceeding whereby an individual is adjudged to be incapacitated and someone is appointed by a Judge to act as guardian for that individual. The guardian may be authorized, acting under court supervision, to act for the incapacitated person in making property management or personal and health care decisions, or both. Guardianships are inflexible and relatively expensive, can be conflict ridden, and may be embarrassing. People generally want to avoid resort to this tool.

For most people, it’s wise to plan ahead by creating the voluntary tools that may be needed later for management and protection of their finances and property. Your elder law and estate planning attorney at will help you consider your options and put the best planning tools in place. If you live in Pennsylvania, you can contact my law firm, Marshall, Parker and Weber, for a free initial consultation. 


Do You have a Comprehensive Estate Plan?  

I'm Power of Attorney for my dad. What are my duties? 

What is the Difference my Power of Attorney and my Executor? 

No comments: