Friday, September 11, 2015

Great Recent Movies About Aging

I’m looking forward to seeing the movie The Intern which opens later this month. Robert DeNiro stars as a 70 year old widower who tires of retirement and goes back to work as an intern in a fashion business run by Anne Hathaway’s character. I like both DeNiro and Hathaway. And as I have moved into my 70s I find that I have become much more interested in movies with characters facing issues related to aging.

The DeNiro/Hathaway movie is being heavily promoted, so its backers must think that this movie about an older guy will be a success. I’m not sure if it’s because the “Baby Boomers” have now become older adults, but there seem to be a lot of good movies lately about aging.
Here is a list of a dozen recent ones. (Links are to the IMDB description). I particularly recommend “The Passage of Time” a thoughtful documentary which is available free online at Vimeo. Please comment (or email me at Webmail@paelderlaw.com) if you have additions to suggest.
Alive Inside (2014)
Amour (2012)
Lullaby (2014)
Philomena (2013)
Quartet (2012)
Still Alice (2015)
Still Mine (2012)
The Passage of Time (2013) a documentary (available on Vimeo)
And here is a link to an academic paper on portrayals of aging in recent American films: “Back in the Saddle Again: Ethics, Visibility, and Aging on Screen.” Downloadable for free: http://anthro-age.pitt.edu/.../anth.../issue/view/23/showToc.

Reader Comments
A movie I enjoyed is “5 Flights Up”, with Morgan Freeman and Diane Keaton as a couple married 40 years who are considering selling their apartment, because they are having problems navigating the 5 flights of stairs (no elevator).  It’s available on DVD or Blu-ray. R.S.

A light-hearted addition to your Movie List for the aging, is A Walk in the Woods, starring Robert Redford, Nick Nolte, and Emma Thompson. Very funny. P.S.

No comments: